Saturday, June 22, 2013

Old Hickory

Kansas isn't known for forests but Eastern and Southeast Kansas has some nice stands of Eastern deciduous forest mixed in with the prairie, and being from the East I can feel right at home. Yesterday I went Kill Creek Park about 15 miles from my home. This area has a few stands of nice hardwoods including lots of shagbark hickory. I am a sucker for interesting tree bark-probably stemming from fourth grade when I got into serious trouble when I was painting part of the dread class mural. My job was to paint the tree trunks. What was my transgression? Simple I did not use the generic brown tempera paint but used a mixture of colors reflecting what I saw when I looked at trees. Fortunately there were some lichen encrusted trunks right outside the classroom so I was able to win my case.

No comments: