Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Voltage Gate

I know we have scads of science blogs in the noosphere, but I say the more the merrier. I recommend that you charge on over to Jeremy Bruno's blog, The Voltage Gate (hmm sounds like he's had neurobiology). Jeremy is an undergraduate interested in science journalism. Right now, Jeremy features a series of articles about the phylogeny of the Red Panda and, unlike the rest of us slobs, he carefully documents his sources.

Why is it that editors think sports and other soft beats require specialized talent but science gets short shrift? I have whined about this before, and maybe with the rise of good science blogging the mainstream media will finally pay attention or else just go the way of the sauropods and big gas guzzling trucks.

Technorati Tags:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dr. Paul. I'm truly honored.

I would hardly call this blog sloppy...

I sincerely do not know why science writing doesn't get more attention. I wish it did. Sometimes I re-think my career goal, but it's just so damned interesting!

I think blogging has the potential to draw people into science a little bit better because it adds bits of informality and playfulness, and usually becomes a dynamic relationship between writer and reader.

Thanks again. I'll be back for sure.