Sunday, March 04, 2007

Ice pictures

Water is amazing stuff for such a simple compound, endlessly varied in form. Today I was out at Baker Wetlands with my son and I got caught up in shooting pictures of the thin sheets of ice I was encountering. So here are some of the best with links to larger images on my flicker photostream.

<span class=

I love all the contrasting textures in this image, the leathery surface of the leaf against the slick half melted ice. Reminds me of the woodland pools of my home in New England where in March you can find wood frogs calling. No frogs here.

ledge20070304

The fluorescent looking blue in this ice ledge is of course the sky.

<span class=

Another ledge with little stalactites of water that had refrozen on the under surface of the ledge.

air20070304

This is an odd shot of an air bubble in a puddle trapped underneath the ice. What makes it odd is that the entire boundary between the air and the thawed water was apparently still frozen. This possibility wasn't clear to me in the field, so I will have to watch for this sort of thing and check to see if my interpretation is correct.

air220070304_0053

This is another bubble shot. Notice all the little bubbles including some that appear attached, yet unfrozen to the main bubble. It isn't clear to me if the big bubble still has a frozen boundary or if the smaller bubbles just have not merged with the big one because of surface tension. This sometimes happens.

3 comments:

John B. said...

Paul,
Thanks for the kind comments about my wife's own ice pics over at my place. May I just say that these you've posted here are really intriguing and distinctive. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Most unusual pictures. Especially interesting are the air bubbles frozen into the ice. I've not seen that phenomenon before. Thanks...

Gaia Gardener: said...

Gorgeous photos, especially the one of the leaf caught in the ice and the one of the stalactites on the ice ledge.

May I ask what type of camera and lens setup you use? (I'm looking to upgrade, as the macro capability of my current camera is really limited, and I love to play around with macro shots.)