Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Melting

This week's Poetry Thursday assignment was to focus on poetry related to some intense personal experience. Well it just so happens that I had just this type of poem sitting around waiting to be visited again. I don't want to say a whole lot about the poem except that is was triggered by my father's death but that is not really what the poem is about; nor is it really about some sort of reconciliation but more about an unexpected penetration to a secret.


The Melting

Going over Niagara and looking down
I think there should be snow
Not mud as Kansas at this time of year.
Then come the long lakes splayed out
Their marshes waiting for red wings,
Lakes still deep, mammoth cold.

Going over Niagara comes to mind
My first trip home the other week
With my sister to the hospital to see you.
You frown at us through the mask,
Point to me and whisper to her.
Who is this; is this Christine?

And I spin around this unrecognition,
Wrap reassurances around each other:
He has been through a lot,
Rough day just off the ventilator;
Confused by the medicines.
Our eyes stray to the vitals and the doctor
Is confident, no brain damage.

But maybe he is really going right
To the point of what I am,
For so long hidden by a certainty
That I could see all of myself like a model landscape
Of frozen solder scented plastic
Where I could rearrange the wire branched trees
And reorder the trusses and flip trains
From one to another track.

All that gone now, the land
Rebuilding itself from underneath
Only the slightest hint on the surface.

Going home to you for the last time
I feel my landscape opening up,
Filling with red wings in my breast.
And I look out; snow is falling.
Your snow, my marshes and I think
To the music I will sing at your Mass,
My ears filling with screes and chirrups
From the bird's golden throats.

Copyright 2006 © Paul Decelles

This week's poetry Thursday link.

Update! A discussion of audio files and a link to the audio version of "The Melting" is here.

Technorati Tags:

9 comments:

Maureen said...

wow! beautiful beautiful beautiful and powerful poem. I've never been known for brevity -- but I can't think of what to say except that this touches me deeply and I love the metaphors you are using. I will come back and read it over and over, hopefully to be able to articulate why.

Verity said...

Hi Paul. I loved the way this started, and the way the second stanza's Going over Niagra brought us to a different, more personal space. I also love the repetition of the image of the red wings and the snow. I felt the flow got interrupted a bit in the 4th stanza though, I felt like I got a little lost. But then with the 5th, I found my way again, and the ending was beautiful.

Paul D. said...

Thanks for the comments,

That 4th stanza was hard to to write, and I was afraid to over work it. It is meant to be quite different from the other stanzas in tone. That stanza's landscape is constructed, rather than evolving, and understood as I once understood my self to be and also as I perceived my father as understanding himself.

Tina said...

Oh wow. This poem is really, really gorgeous. The imagery and the metaphor and deep emotional value- I loved it all.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

You are a wonderful poet--you have a fine grasp of the right words to use to bring up the right image and metaphor. Great work!

Jim Brock said...

Paul, you have it working very finely here. The leap to the model landscape, that's sharp for me, kind of willing to become the father, but then being only a plastic miniature.

Jeanne said...

I like the way time moves back and forth. Beautiful imagery.

Intrepidflame said...

I love how this poem really opens up in the end. Starting from the second to last stanza and the line about the land rebuilding beneath the surface.

I look forward to reading more of your work.

Ceebie said...

Wow, thank you Paul. I hear the catharsis in the words, just as I read how painful this was for you. I love the image of the model landscape and the idea that the fourth stanza was constructed, as opposed to having evolved.

Thanks again,