Saturday, February 24, 2007

A Mammal in Winter

With a furnace of her own
She stalks into the night.
Her eyes, her lips
Are stars to which
I am drawn.
Her heat warms my
Wintered heart.

Sometimes one finds a line that just begs to be used in a poem-the line here being the title of a wonderful article in a recent NY Times Science (Feb 20)section by Natalie Angier. The article is about the advantages and disadvantages of being warm blooded, something I often use as a case study about adaptations. In fact I just talked about this article as part of a discourse on thermodynamics to my introductory biology class.

The article's title is a real grabber and I just had to do something with it, hence this poem for my wife. The CAT though thinks it's for her.


Technorati Tags:


2 comments:

John B. said...

I really like this, Paul; its passion sort of emerges as one reads and rereads it.

Paul D. said...

Thanks John.

One of the nice thngs about writing poetry is I never know what is going to happen when I put that first line down. That is true regardless of the poem's length.