Wednesday, February 21, 2007

That Intricate Blindness

So much depends on a levee made of sand
Holding the sinking land from the river,
The water eating away at its base
As houses are built by the blind
And the deaf and the mute,
Houses like capsids amidst the lawns
Plated on petri dish earth.

So much depends on consequence delayed
And creaking pumps sucking what would be
As fast as it comes in like a blind snake
Hunting a mouse.
So much depends on those constructed things
Big and leaky on the edge of disaster.

And yet, surrounding each cell the mosaic assembles itself blindly
As lipids jostle each other and proteins
Shape themselves into pumps and channels,
A levee of sorts way beyond paper thin,
but that keeps at bay
What otherwise would be.

This week's Poetry Thursday prompt is 'The Body Knows' and that is reflected in this poem which contrasts our ability, or lack there of sometimes, to avert disaster and depend on our technology even though we use it in a shorted sighted almost blind way. And yet we depend on processes that are also blind in terms of the intricate operation of each of our cells. There is nothing mystical here. After all, the pumps and channels I refer to after all arise through the evolutionary process- the intricate blindness of the title.

So I am contrasting two types of blindness. The first type comes about because of our own political and analytical shortcomings which unless we recognize and account for them lead to disaster. The second type of blindness is that of the evolutionary process which has had 3.5 billion plus years to do what Daniel Dennett refers to as R and D or research and development leading to the marvelous adaptations exhibited by the body. This intricate blindness gives rise to the illusion that 'the body knows.'

The poem's first lines about levees are inspired by a discussion on NPR this morning about how ill prepared we are to deal with disasters, the example used being the fragility of the levee systems in the Sacramento California area. The discussion was with the author of a new book called The Edge of Disaster. See this link for another review.

The poem is also inspired by another interesting review of a book, this time on the limitations of mathematical models of natural phenomena:

The Problems in Modeling Nature, With Its Unruly Natural Tendencies

I have not read the book and I personally believe in the utility of mathematical models, but certainly there are severe limitations on the exactitude possible using standard modeling.

Technorati Tags:



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading a book about the great Mississippi flood of 1927.

Your poem is great, I actually relate this poem to my body and all the forces at work both internal and external.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like the comparisons you made here and the last stanza took me right back to my days studying biology.

gautami tripathy said...

I can relate to the chemistry of it. I studied Chemistry for my PG degree.
Glad I landed up here via PT.

gautami
In-between state of consciousness

Regina said...

Your poem so reminds me of living here on the east coast of FL, where all they do is build highrises and each year the shoreline gets eaten away by man and Mother Nature...
A very interesting poem!

Norma said...

I liked the way you contrasted the physical we build with our physical build and the repetition of "so much depends on" really works nicely here. I too enjoy writing about something I've heard or read--sometimes it's just a spark.

Jessica said...

I love the intersection of politics, science and poetics here. "The mosaic assembles itself" section is just wonderful. I also love the "so much depends" refrain. Great work!

Catherine said...

I enjoyed reading this, especially the line "less than paper thin" - and then your explanations added to the interest of the poem.
The body is marvellous, whether designed or the workings of pure chance.

Clockworkchris said...

It is so interesting to see how our different backgrounds create such different works of art. I love your background on the side that lets us know in some ways a doctor may write things differently than someone else. This was a great read and it was nice to see teh comparisons.